Saturday, July 14, 2007

HP: Order of the Phoenix


No not Hewlett Packard -- Harry Potter of course! I am saving Transformers to see with a friend. (BTW...Don't buy the toys if you have kids, they are a parents nightmare!) So in the mean time I saw the fifth installment of the Harry Potter series.

Unfortunately it was same old same old standard Harry Potter fare. Something amusing happens to Harry's "muggle" family, (if you don't know what a 'muggle' is then you probably won't see this film and can stop reading now), then Harry is attacked and gets in trouble, there's a big mystery, tension with his friends, blah, blah, blah, big boss battle at the end and everyone lives happily ever after. Nothing new under the sun except perhaps an exceptionally annoying female character who tries to take over Hogwarts.

Let me just say, I hate annoying characters! Give me evil, silly, funny, strong, powerful, cunning, or even dull characters, but I can't stand two hours of an annoying over the top character. I understand that's what the film makers were shooting for, and they hit the mark, but good grief an annoying character makes for an annoying movie!

If you are a Harry Potter Movie fan, you'll go see this. If you are a fan of the Books, you'll go see this and probably hate it as it falls short of full filling the rich story found in the book. Most book-to-movies are like that though. But basically I think it is great to see your favorite characters (and annoying ones) come to life on the big screen. So check it out, you little owls!

No comments: