Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Street Kings

My friend asked me if I had seen this movie. I told him I had not even heard of it. Until recently, I finally saw a "First Look" on G4TV. So having nothing better to do one afternoon, I popped into the theater for a view. It was the middle of the week, but still I was the only one in the theater. If fact, I had to tell the manager to start the film, otherwise I'd still be sitting there. That shoulda told me something.

Tom Ludlow (Keanu Reeves) is a veteran LAPD cop who finds life difficult to navigate after the death of his wife. When evidence implicates him in the execution of a fellow officer, he is forced to go up against the cop culture he's been a part of his entire career, ultimately leading him to question the loyalties of everyone around him.

The movie was a little flat over all, just like Reeves character. They tried to build a little depth, with a tiny back story, you get snippets of later in the film. Even Forest Whitaker (Capt. Jack Wander) couldn't lift this Training Day wannabe. There is a scene where Tom Ludlow is assigned to the complaint department. I think the movie studio needs to open one!

Wait until this film has Departed the theaters and check out Street Kings along with Point Break during a future Keanu Reeves double feature weekend on cable!

No comments: