Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight


I was afraid this film would be a bit too sappy. To be sure, there is a lot of mushiness to be found, but the story is strong, and the character's are interesting (if not a bit one dimensional).

Make no mistake though, this is not a scary or horror flick (what's the difference?). In fact, it almost lacks so much in action and suspense, I was afraid I would dose off and miss the epic climax.

I always like a new twist on the Vampire genre, so I was curious what this author, Stephenie Meyer brought to the table. (You knew it was based on a book right?) It's a tale about a "family" of vampires that move about the country over the years and they have come home to the always cloudy and rainy Washington state area. They are "good" vampires in that they only feed on animals, not humans. Although the temptation and desire is there.

So it's the same old story of Vampire boy meets Human girl and they fall in love. Will the rest of the family be happy? And whose feeding on the local town folk?

I talked to a fan that had read the book, (I haven't) and she said the film was a "pretty good" adaptation for a book to screen movie. I found that the human girl, Bella Swan, played by Kristen Stewart looked great for the part, but I hated the way she presented her character. She too has recently moved to Washington and is adjusting to her new life with her father. But all her lines were stuttered with confusion, uncertainty, starting and stopping in an annoying fashion. (um...like this blog!) It would have been okay for a scene or two, but she does it the whole movie. I blame the director for that. At some point, she should have evolved into a confident sure-of-herself girl, that finally accepts and knows what she wants.

Overall it was a decent movie, and you should check Twilight out especially if you are a fan of the book. Otherwise Netflix it one day on your XBOX 360!

No comments: