Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Day The Earth Stood Still


This is a remake of a classic that started the whole Sci-Fi genre along with Forbidden Planet (which they are also remaking). I was excited for this movie, because I have enjoyed sci-fi shows and films for years.

I don't remember the message of the original film, but this one carried a big green message about mother earth and what the parasites known as humans are doing to her. Aliens are ticked off that we are destroying the earth and they have come to eradicate us and save the planet which is only one of a handful capable of sustaining life in the universe.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. It had a solid story, nice effects, good actors. But I think it could have been so much more. In the end they must convince the alien to let the humans live, and I was disappointed how that developed. It could have been much more powerful , much more compelling. I also thought they went a little soft on showing the atrocities that humans are capable of. All they presented were clips of a few riots. Heck I see that in the news, and I barely notice it. Despite that, I liked the movie. I won't give it a 'must see' but check out The Day The Earth Stood Still when it's released on DVD!

No comments: