Saturday, December 10, 2005

Movie Friday

Having read the books as a child, this week's movie, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, was a thrill to watch. Just as with Lord of the Rings, I enjoyed seeing a set of favorite books come to life on the big screen.

The movie remains very true to the books I thought. Four very proper English children are sent to country side at the height of WWII. They are staying at the museum-like house of a professor, (a professor of what is never mentioned). The children quickly become bored and set out for a game of hide and seek. The youngest girl, Lucy, discovers a magical wardrobe that becomes a gateway to a land full of talking animals and fairy tale creatures such as fauns, satyrs, and a white witch-queen.

The children learn that they are part of a prophecy that states they will lead a final battle of the goodly creatures against the evil queen and her minions. I thought the talking beavers were a bit over the top, but thankfully not as annoying as Jar-Jar from Star Wars Episode I.

Tilda Swinton makes an excellent white witch, and Liam Neeson lends his voice for the gentle and wise Aslan the Lion.

I highly recommend stepping through the wardrobe and visiting Narnia.

2 comments:

Matt Tully said...

Yea...I knew you'd like it! I told ya so! LOL

-Bill said...

You were correct! It was awesome.