Saturday, October 22, 2005

DOOM

I saw DOOM Friday. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I have played all the DOOM PC games, but I didn't think it would make a good moive. I was happy to be proved wrong. The film stars The Rock, who is perfect for the role as the muscular space marine sargent.

The film makers altered the story line from the game a little. In the game you are fighting demons from hell. The monsters in the movie are just scientists that have been gennetically mutated. And so we are missing some of the original horrors like towering cyberdemons and flame-tossing imps. The main scientist is named Dr. Carmack which is a nod to the creator of DOOM and a co-founder of ID Software, John Carmack.

Another small let down was the weapons. The sarge finds the BFG (Big Freaking* Gun) but it is hardly used. *Insert colorful metaphor. Karl Urban, who played Eomer in Lord of the Rings, did a great job too.

Overall I enjoyed the film, the first person perspective segment at the end of the movie was great.

If you liked DOOM, you'll like the flick. Check it out.

No comments: