Wednesday, October 12, 2005

How to pay for college?

That's a question, not a statement. Marc and Kim were discussing the subject on their radio show as Marc has a high school senior that is beginning her quest for higher education. The more I listened the sicker I got. I wanted to change stations but I couldn't find the buttons in the dark. Ryan is six years old and I haven't set aside a plug nickel for his education. And me buying the occasional lotto ticket may not work out as the best plan.

I look over our budget and see that we tend to live a few dollars beyond our means every month. I make it up twice a year with a tax refund and a bonus check from TVA. My only hope is that I have put some money in an After-Tax 401k plan that I may be able to tap when he's ready. Also with TN having a lottery, there are some HOPE scholarships he may qualify for. I'm not counting on it but maybe he will have better grades and ACT scores than I did. He will have to get a part-time job to help out with incidental costs like books and transportation. Finally he can apply for financial aide. School Loans. So that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

Sure there's the 529 section savings plan but again, unless there is suddenly an ice rink in Hell and I get promoted to a manager postion here at TVA .... there's no extra money. Kyle, I have three words for you; SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS. Good luck son.

1 comment:

"Jet" said...

Either that or get a job at a University where a benefit after a probation period is a 4 year degree free of charge...